News

July 17, 2012: Enoby emerges from the blood-soaked shadows of Hogwarts' forbidden corners to officially join in our poking of a certain elephantine preppy man.

October 5, 2011: Spring cleaning.

July 17, 2011: After weeks of inactivity and a pretty epic smackdown, Ryuu takes his forum offline. Oh shucks.

1.8.10

Armor: Part Twa: Parts of Plate

Le suilon.

I hope you're all ready to learn more about armor! If not, go away. I'm not teaching people who don't want to be taught.

Today, I'm very quickly and lazily going over parts of plate armor. There are plenty of diagrams, if you search for them. It isn't hard. The diagrams make is easy to pick up and understand. I will also include a link that goes over parts of armor, so I won't be covering a lot personally.

Essentially, I'm here to help start things, or offer quick references - not here to do all the research.


Obviously, this leaves off the helmet. Now, I personally don't like helmets because I think they look stupid and cut off too much peripheral vision to be worth the protection. I realize this is stupid, because it protects your head, and you should certainly have wiser opinions than me.

My characters don't wear much armor, anyway, because games with D&D rules have trained me not to - wearing armor increases chances of spell failures for magical characters, if the characters can even wear armor without sacrificing a feat point. Blahblah, I'm lame, blahblah.

Additionally, there are a wide variety of helmets in different styles for different purposes. From my knowledge, helmets typically have a slit for vision, sometimes a visor that can be lifted and lowered.

For reference, here is another diagram I found that includes the helmet and neck guard.


Moving on.

There are a lot of terms to go over, and this is only a survey. So, I'll mostly be leaving it to various diagrams and the reader's individual ability to search for definitions.


A very good guide for definitions would be the Weapons and Armour Guide. It's easier than me restating information, though I will restate that it is not all comprehensive. It's a basic reference and remember that there's always room for more research.

It also includes information on some different helmet types for those of you who don't want to be beheaded.

So, when you read a sentence like:

His shoulders are covered with two joined pieces of gold armor.

The creator's most likely talking about the
pauldron, most likely. This could connect to the gardbrace - a part of armor on the left arm giving extra protection to the left shoulder during jousting matches.

Also note that there is a difference between a
gauntlet (an armored glove) and a bracer (also called: vambrace). The bracer protects the forearm, and is a very common piece of armor for archers but is not exclusive to them.

The gauntlet rarely protects much past the wrist.

Next time, I will briefly offer information on parts of chain armor. Chain armor is awesome. There may be less pictures and more talking.

Namárië.

No comments:

Post a Comment